Georgia Air Dogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puppy training

+2
JPBirddawg
Rebel Devil
6 posters

Go down

Puppy training Empty Puppy training

Post  Rebel Devil Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Well the girls mastered going up the basement stairs but are still afraid to come back down. I give them a day or two and I'm sure they will master that too. Of course.....big ol Tater already mastered the steps and can already sit on command! What a good boy! My main goal is just to keep them from pooping on the floor. We had one accident tonight but that was my fault. I took Storm out and by the time I came back in Dusty already went on the floor. All I can say is thank heavens for carpet cleaner! :rendeer
Rebel Devil
Rebel Devil

Back to top Go down

Puppy training Empty Re: Puppy training

Post  JPBirddawg Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 pm

They did real good that day, and Dusty and Storm came down the stairs okay. They are not too young to learn this is the prime time to train but everything is for fun, food, love or etc, No disciplinary actions( unless a poopy or PP accident) Tater is sitting ,Kenneling( 50 % of the time, I usually toss a treat in and give the command) We are now working on down and in about a week or so will work on "Come" There little brains are like sponges now, I am only doing 2, 3 to 4 minute training sessions with treats and toys, alternating Treat and Toy. My goal is to have a solid Heal by 10 weeks and it is possible. You and Marty really did a great job socializing these little Boogers, they are all very far ahead of the "NORM" I am gonna break out the waders first semi warm day and enter pool and try and coax him in. ( Allison is freaking out "Its too cold, Its too cold") I will only let him go in once or twice if he wants too. If he does then I will take him to his newest favorite play place( the tub halffull of warm water and toys) His wound has healed nicely. I think he really enjoyed being with his sisters the other day.
JPBirddawg
JPBirddawg

Location : The only Official Dock in the state of Georgia, not certified by DD,and never will be

Back to top Go down

Post  foxonfire Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 am

What precocious pups! So smart and eager.
foxonfire
foxonfire

Back to top Go down

Post  Air Dog Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Pups are going up the steps easily, but are still not too happy going down. Maybe when Tater comes over the next time, the girls will follow him. We are making progress on the house training, but aren't there yet !!
Air Dog
Air Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  JPBirddawg Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:29 pm

I cant imagine watching 2 pups, Tater is hard enough all of sudden you just go where is Tater, We had a poopy accident Allison is sitting in the play room and goes whats that.... yep it was dried up Tater Poop.
JPBirddawg
JPBirddawg

Location : The only Official Dock in the state of Georgia, not certified by DD,and never will be

Back to top Go down

Post  Air Dog Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:02 am

Jake worked with the girls on their "sit" and they are doing pretty well. We are starting to take them out on their leashes so they get used to them and also they are getting too fast for us to catch !!

Still working on the house training...not too many "accidents". They just need to go out a lot.
Air Dog
Air Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Dawg Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:47 am

Momma Dawg worries about that cold water getting in Taters ears. But I have to TOTALLY agree with Jake; Marty & Marge did an outstanding job with the puppies; my father even said he's never seen such a smart puppy at his age.

I kept him all day Christmas Eve while Jake worked & he ran for hours in the back yard with my girls & snoozed for almost 2 hours. He already knows how to get to my dads house & where to look for him in his house. My dad worked with Tater on going in & out of the doggy doors.

I LOVE MY TATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momma Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Livinzoo Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:44 pm

OMG I finally met Tater and all I can say is he makes me want a lab and I'm not a lab person. He is so smart doing his sit and lie commands. And such a big goofball. He is also so very well socialized. Way to go Marty and Marge.
Livinzoo
Livinzoo

Back to top Go down

Post  foxonfire Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:00 pm

I could NOT believe how big that pup has gotten! and soooo smart too. I don't know too many pups that are soo smart. He knows how to sit, down, and he retrieves very nicely too! He's got his "daddy" wrapped around his big soulful eyes and little paws. tongue

Definitely KUDOS to Marge and Marty for bringing up this awesome pup. I can't wait for mine (2 more years, 2 more years)!
foxonfire
foxonfire

Back to top Go down

Post  JPBirddawg Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks for not saying anything about the PeePee incident. I gotta tell it though it was quite funny.

So Megan and Crystal wanted to come in and see Tater, he had just been outside and done his buisness, well he is playing and getting hugs and giving a labradoo, I am getting all the Kudos a proud Dad could want on his Sit, and Down. So I am leaning forward sitting on the couch and I pick up my Big Boy and put him on the couch. he plays for a few minutes and leans over the arm rest and starts crying. I am sitting next to the arm rest mind you. Well he stops crying and goes about his buisness. My back has been bothering me and Megan and Crystal are standing near the door to the sunroom, well I sit back and relax and all of a sudden I feel warmth on my rear end, Yep you guessed it he wee-weed right there. Little Booger, I guess he was trying to tell me I just thought he was crying trying to figure out how to jump from the arm rest. Pretty Funny needless to say, I am sure I will remember that moment for a while.
JPBirddawg
JPBirddawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Livinzoo Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:30 pm

Sometimes it just takes awhile for us to learn what a dog is saying. He is still adjusting to his new home and your still adjusting to him. As one of my favorite dog books says. If a puppy has an accident then take a rolled up newspaper and beat yourself over the head cause you didn't catch on. affraid lol!
Livinzoo
Livinzoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Air Dog Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Marge and I got the scale out (Yep...diet starts after the holidays!!) and the girls are both around 14.5 lbs. A good 2 lbs behind Tater, but pretty good size for the girls. Sorm was bigger to start with, but Dusty has caught up. They are sitting now and I am starting to have them retrieve in the hallway. They bry when they need to go out, but we still have some work on the house training. I guess we were lucky with Molly as she only ever had maybe 2 accidents in the house!! Rebel was much harder.....
Air Dog
Air Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  JPBirddawg Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:37 pm

Well I must say I am on a diet after the new year also, Tater is on a get big diet on week 8 he hit 18.4 pounds, yesterday he was 17.6 pounds he is starting to realy sprout up.. Dusty and Storm are looking Great,the pups had a blast on chrstmas. Storm and Dusty whooped up on Tater. Storm rolled him 2 or 3 times.
JPBirddawg
JPBirddawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Dawg Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Birddawg are you sure you're not blaming poor ole little INNOCENT Tater for you peeing on the couch (I don't care who you are; that's funny)...got'cha baby (for the time being).

I TOLD YOU ALL HE WAS THE SMARTEST LITTLE TATER IN THE WORLD !! My dad wants to dogsit Tater all the time so yesterday Jake dropped him off at my dads house at 11 am & picked him up at 8 pm. Tater went in & out of the dog door a couple of times; I played with him with my girls in the front yard to get him use to a BUSY 5 lane road & he did well (never looked or wanted to go near the road) but I kept a VERY close eye on him but he knows his way around my house/property as well as my dads. He was so funny the other night; I took him out to pee & when he finished he took off up the steps, walked through the carport & around the fence to my dads back door & stood on the threshold for me to let him in & then he walked straight to the living room & ran to my dad. And my dad & I have been VERY good; no people food but he doesn't stay in his crate much at our house because we keep him outside w/my dogs running so when he falls to sleep; he sleeps for 1-2 hrs.

Then when dad comes to pick him up Tater is usually asleep on his red doggy bed so mom carries him out asleep on his doggy bed so he doesn't have to wake up (spoiled...spoiled).

DID YOU ALL KNOW I LOVE THAT LITTLE TATER !!

Momma Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down