Georgia Air Dogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poor Jack, Get well soon!

5 posters

Go down

Poor Jack, Get well soon! Empty Poor Jack, Get well soon!

Post  foxonfire Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Well, I hope everybody had a better day today than me and Jack.

Day started out well, lounging around on my day off, wrestling with the dogs, till Jack screamed....and when I was trying to find out why he screamed ( because he's really a big baby) he wouldn't open his mouth without screaming..couldn't catch a ball, and his left eye looked a little swollen. I took him to my vet and after sedation and several x-rays. My Docs decided that it was an abcess behind his eye....still don't know how that happened exactly. My Dr. told me they still don't understand why pets get them, just that they do....

They lanced it, and now he's got a hole in his mouth, and can't eat raw (well nothing with bone) for 7-10 days and no running, jumping, catching, or tugging either. Lots of Painmeds and antibiotics too.

Jack's currently quite out of it, I'm lucky I'm a vet tech, and I got to bring him home, otherwise I know they would have kept him at the hospital. I also know where the next couple of my paychecks are going. The funny thing was, he was almost normal yesterday- running around, tugging, doing some nice retrieves, he did squeak a bit when I opened his mouth for obedience demonstraion, and then was drooling a little at advanced class....but never did I think something like an abcess was brewing. My doc, actually said I caught the abcess the earliest she'd ever seen, she said if I had waited, Jack's eye would be just about bulging out of the socket with the amount of pressure behind it, and he'd be screaming if you looked at him wrong.

Here's hoping that it won't take Jack too long to get over his ailment....he may be extra spoiled by the time he heals totally. We're still hoping that we'll be able to go to Charleston and Destin for some doggy diving fun. But we'll just have to see.
foxonfire
foxonfire

Back to top Go down

Poor Jack, Get well soon! Empty Re: Poor Jack, Get well soon!

Post  Houla Girl Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Poor Jack!!!! I hope he gets better quick. Dinah's corgi had an abcessed tooth that had to be removed and left a big hole in his mouth. He healed up quickly so hopefully Jack will do the same. Dinah just fed ground meat until his tooth healed and that worked out well.
Houla Girl
Houla Girl

http://www.info@catahoulaunited.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Air Dog Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 am

Hope Jack is back at it soon...sorry to hear the bad news.
Air Dog
Air Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Dawg Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Momma Dawg will be more than glad to offer some "spoiling" to my favorite little buddy; Jack. I hope he gets well soon

Momma Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post  gryphon Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Oh that sounds so painful. Good thing you have a sharp eye and noticed so soon that something wasn't right. Hoping he heals very quickly.
gryphon
gryphon

Back to top Go down

Poor Jack, Get well soon! Empty UPDATE

Post  foxonfire Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Well...Jack truely and utterly hates being in "jail"- by "jail" I mean cooped up in the kennel- no running, jumping, playing....
Evil or Very Mad

however, I took him for his recheck today. Good news- now he's opening his mouth, panting, and barking- no pain, chasing his tail- no pain, giving me huge smiles as he runs all over the hospital- no pain. So I'm very much relieved, although we still won't be doing any tugging or retrieving for another week (giving the mouth some more time to heal). Although my doc, told me, "Jack will tell you when he's ready to do those things" I think I'll play it safe then sorry. I sure as heck don't want any relapses! cheers
foxonfire
foxonfire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum