Georgia Air Dogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurt Toenail on Dak

3 posters

Go down

Hurt Toenail on Dak Empty Hurt Toenail on Dak

Post  gryphon Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:33 pm

The way we keep DAK'S toenails short is to let in chase the ball in the road. ANd of course we do that when it is wet like it has been outside, Last night I noticed him licking his foot and when I looked at his toenail I saw that it is worn just a bit much. I could see blood, it was not dripping or anything like that. Has anyone had experience with that and is there anything I should do other than keep him off the street?
gryphon
gryphon

Back to top Go down

Hurt Toenail on Dak Empty Re: Hurt Toenail on Dak

Post  foxonfire Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:32 pm

He should be fine as long as it's not split or broken (he'd be fine even then though, and you would know if it had those issues too!)

Good home remedy for nails that are cut/worn/dremmeled too short, is to put a little flour on bleeding nail. Stops the bleeding fairly quickly OR you can go out and buy quikstop- which has a little pain killer in it. The quick (of his nail) should receed fairly quickly and he should be able to go back to chasing the ball in the street in a day or so.

When Jack dives off the side of the pool (not the dock) he wears his nails down very quickly- to the point of bleeding at times. I just carry a handy little container of quikstop when I go to practice- put some on his nails, wait a couple of minutes and he's screaming to get back in the pool. lol!
foxonfire
foxonfire

Back to top Go down

Post  gryphon Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:27 pm

it is not bleeding, just the tip is worn to the "quick". I am sure he will be ok. Funny thing is. I ask him to show me his hurt foot and he will lift it up and put in in my hand. Such a sweet smart boy.
gryphon
gryphon

Back to top Go down

Post  Air Dog Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 am

Our lab Bayley used to wear her nnails down until they would bleed playing around the pool. They seem to heal up pretty fast and about all you can do is try to limit their time on pavement. I don't let Molly run on pavement because she tears up her pads if she runs hard. I do run her beside the bike, but that's in a straight line and at a jogging pace.
Air Dog
Air Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  gryphon Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 pm

it is not the running that hurts the feet. It is the stopping. He seems ok but is still showing me his "hurt foot".
gryphon
gryphon

Back to top Go down

Post  gryphon Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:24 pm

I just looked at Dak's sore foot, it no longer has any redness to it. We will take it easy in the street. He has been getting his exercise. We live right next to the new Gwinnett Park Peachtree Ridge, and with this weather as cold as it is there is noone there. I let him run and chase the ball for about 15 minutes. I have never seen a dog love exercise as much as he does. He fogged up the windows on the way home.
gryphon
gryphon

Back to top Go down

Post  Air Dog Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:21 am

They love to run !!

Molly demands her daily Frisbee time and even with all she went throigh with the pups will run longer and harder than Rebel. It's great for him as he he tries to keep up with "big sister"
Air Dog
Air Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  gryphon Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:26 pm

when they are driven... they are wonderful athletics. Too bad it is so hard on them when they get older.
gryphon
gryphon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum